Monday, November 21, 2005

For love of life

For love of life

A few relationships appear like a flash-in-the-pan but leave their imprint forever, says Subhajit Sankar Dasgupta

It was indeed a great morning, fresh and revitalising. I woke up with a smile on my face, hugged my mom, and began assisting her in kitchen. I could sense an element of astonishment in her eyes, as she had never seen me helping her so enthusiastically.

And, there were reasons for that. On that day, I was supposed to shed my 'boring' schoolboy image for an 'exciting' college dude. I bathed, wore my best clothes and left for the new destination. It was to be my first day in college.

As I entered the classroom, I saw a number of students looking at me. I introduced myself to some of them, as I never wanted myself to be left alone. Just then, I saw a girl in the corner of the room. I wanted to introduce myself to her, but my legs failed me. I could only stare at her with my heart full of admiration. She was a fair-complexioned girl with good height. Of course, she wore small spectacles that made her look more attractive. I still do not know what fascinated me about her, as she was certainly not the epitome of beauty.

What can one term this instant liking for a girl? I thought it was just an infatuation, which would be over within a few days. But this did not happen. The fever only increased and I wondered whether this attraction would end at all. The time came when thinking of studies never got me going to college, but the slightest thought of that girl did. I could not help telling about this problem to one of my best friends. Amused, he promised help. But he did what I had never imagined in my wildest of dreams - he talked about me to another girl, whom I had never met earlier. That day I preferred to run away from the college, and remained absent for a couple of days.

Finally, I decided to talk to the girl myself. Fortunately, one day, I found her alone in the class room. I was not the one to miss this opportunity. I introduced myself to her and, soon, we began to behave as if we were long-lost friends. We talked on wide-ranging topic - from hobbies to books. To my surprise, she who was Priya asked me whether I could lend her the book on Jane Eyre. I readily agreed to bring it the very next day.

Within the next few days, I started giving Priya phone calls at the slightest of opportunities. Studies took a backseat, and she remained the only focus of my life. Soon after the examinations were over, Priya called me up, saying, "My father has got transferred to Chandigarh. We are all accompanying him. I have to leave the college. Thanks for all your affection."

I kept smiling till she was there with me. But gloom enveloped me as soon as she bade me goodbye. As the saying goes, "Nothing is permanent in the world." My love (or infatuation, if that pleases you all) soon vanished, but not without trace. Today, when I look back, I thank God for what He gave me. The separation only made me focus on studies, which helped me get a decent job. Now the memory of Priya is too distant.

Today, the only thing I remember is the misty eyes of my mother who hugged me when I got this job. No excuses, no repentance! And, life moves on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home